Monday, October 12, 2009

12. "myself!/ through the whole long universe"

It was a little great to get a surprise photocopy of Alice Notley's 1973 chapbook Phoebe Light in the mail only a few days after I had listened to her read some poems from it on Penn Sound.  1973 was the year I was born, and I remember nothing of it but family pictures,

but there is an Alex Katz cover, peeking out of an envelope, its hand-written title as charmingly faux-naif as the poems inside. A friend said, "Do you think that is Alex Katz's handwriting? " and yes I think so, it is thin like his paintings and the letters sit at angles similar to his lines. At least I want to think so, holding in my imagination, as I do, that encouraging myth that is the 70s,  poets un-institutional and intermixed with artists, all those brave broke bohemians "with their guts and balls." You see I was only an infant and therefore authentically a naif that year, as I guess I remain,

but there is Alice Notley in 1973 the grown woman, unafraid, as she would remain, of sentiment or experiment: "antediluvian bang in arched fur willful & exploded pussy" and (in its entirety)

THE COMFORT

I needed a long bus ride up-
town like a new hole oh well
my only comfort the possibility
you're unhappy, insane, etc.

This is early work but nonetheless the work is defiant: "My second year I read THE CANTOS (1-95) of Ezra Pound.  They were just like everything else."

Like an oracle, always, is APRIL: "broke the bed fucking."  And in its entirety:

PHOEBE LIGHT

The great cosmetic
Strangeness of a normal deep person. 

1 comment:

  1. Poet’s Choice is a poetry publishing brand. We are creating an open platform & a community for poets. Poets from all across the world can get their work self published.We have published three books till now & are on the verge of launching our next book in the first week of June. All our books are available on Flipkart & Amazon websites.Our book launch videos are all viewable on Youtube –“Book launch of Poet’s Choice” & we also have a facebook page called “Poet’s Choice”.

    We write to you today because we are interested in connecting with poets,poetry lovers,readers & reviewers .

    You may connect with us on poetschoice@hotmail.com.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for reading about Books of Poetry. :)